Sunday, November 28, 2004

My Favorite Season

While I like Thanksgiving and all that it stands for - see my post below - it's that period after Thanksgiving, through to the new year that I love most of all.

There are so many things to like about what has come to be known as "The Holiday Season." There are the lights - whether a Menora or a Christmas tree - that seem to warm the whole world, if you're in the North there's the possibility of snow that quiets even the noisiest city to a whisper, and there are gifts and candies and parties.

Best of all in this season, though, is how suddenly strangers will say hello or wish you a "happy holidays!" families gather together and the world seems, despite the colder weather, to be so much warmer and friendlier.

So, following the example set by Saintperle, who just couldn't keep up the non-stop critique of BushCo. through the holidays without also injecting a little hope and warmth and happiness into the season with a wonderful recipe, I thought I'd make it a point, between now and New Year's Day, to bring a little peace and beauty into the political discourse. I like to cook, too, but my contribution will be images. Images of the season, seen from my little corner of the world. Images that I hope will make you think just a little about what's really important.

My wife and I, every year on the day after Thanksgiving, rather than joining the mad rush to the stores, spend the whole day together decorating for Christmas. This year was no different and at the end of the day, before stopping for a glass of wine, I stopped to take a quick photo of our living room:

No comments: