Thursday, March 18, 2004

What Century is This?

Via Atrios, in yesterday's Mercury News:

The county that was the site of the Scopes "Monkey Trial" over the teaching of evolution is asking lawmakers to amend state law so the county can charge homosexuals with crimes against nature.

The Rhea County commissioners approved the request 8-0 Tuesday.

Commissioner J.C. Fugate, who introduced the measure, also asked the county attorney to find a way to enact an ordinance banning homosexuals from living in the county.

"We need to keep them out of here," Fugate said.
Yes sir, a fine, upstanding southern, f***ing Yahoo, Mr. Fugate. He would be right at home with those homophobic bigots in the Defense of Marriage Coalition.

I could feign outrage, but - as I've already said, that meter is pegged at the moment. I could say that I can't believe anyone would say such things here in the Twenty-first Century, but I've lived in the South.

It seems all I can do is shake my head...

No comments: