Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Deconstructing Bush

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome?

A stern, defiant President Bush said he wouldn't back down from the challenges of Iraq and offered no hint he would alter his approach there, despite a recent surge of violence that has boosted U.S. casualties and heightened criticism of the president's war plans.

In a rare nationally televised address, Mr. Bush insisted that success in Iraq is vital to defeat terrorism and protect Americans. Above all, he indicated that none of the violence and turmoil there would alter his plan to turn sovereignty over to Iraqis on June 30.
Doesn't it take a more mature person to admit mistakes and to learn from them?

In reply to the overtures, Mr. Bush offered no apologies and admitted no specific mistakes.

He did allow that before Sept. 11 "there are some things I wish we'd have done, when I look back. I mean, hindsight's easy. It's easy for a president to stand up and say, now that I know what happened, it would have been nice if there were certain things in place." Mr. Bush noted, though, that "I still would have called upon the world to deal with Saddam Hussein." Weapons of mass destruction, he said, "could still be there. They could be hidden."
And finally - for now - shouldn't a president, especially one who makes great and public claims to Christianity, shouldn't that president be a humble person?

For his part, the President, asked if his job was at risk, said, "I don't plan on losing my job. I plan on telling the American people that I've got a plan to win the war on terror. And I believe they'll stay with me. They understand the stakes."
A Final Note: If the pResident is planning on "telling the American people that [he's] got a plan to win the war on terror," shouldn't that be something he should have told us when we first got into the so-called war? And isn't the real question does he have a plan for Iraq? That's the real question we all want the answer to. And one he seems singularly intent on not answering.

All quotes from this article in the Wall Street Journal.

No comments: