Wednesday, August 18, 2004

PC Survival

Every now and again I have to revel in the joy of owning an Apple Computer at the expense of my friends with WinTel machines. Sorry. I just can't help it. This article made me smile today:

The average unpatched Windows PC lasts less than 20 minutes on the Internet before it's compromised, according to data from the Internet Storm Center.

[snip]

In June 2003, the "survival time" of an unpatched PC was approximately 40 minutes. As of Wednesday, the average was less than half that: only 16 minutes.
Of course nobody with the least savvy would connect an unprotected machine to the web, right?

Maybe.

The under-20 minute period isn't long enough to pull down major updates, such as Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), acknowledged Joe Wilcox, an analyst with Jupiter Research, in an online posting.
I love my iMac.

No comments: