Thursday, August 05, 2004

Born in The U.S.A.

Nearly everyone has - probably willfully - ignored the irony and the pain behind the title of that Bruce Springsteen song. And while I've never been a huge fan of his material, there are songs that I like. I do, however, appreciate Springsteen's stand on most political subjects.

In today's New York Times, Bruce has written an opinion piece that is well worth a read.

... Personally, for the last 25 years I have always stayed one step away from partisan politics. Instead, I have been partisan about a set of ideals: economic justice, civil rights, a humane foreign policy, freedom and a decent life for all of our citizens. This year, however, for many of us the stakes have risen too high to sit this election out.
Read the rest, it's a great piece of writing. I came away with a new respect for him, I think you might too.

No comments: