Friday, August 13, 2004

Charley

Hurricane Charley, expected to strengthen to Category III, with winds around 120 mph, is approaching my hometown in Florida. If the eye crosses the coast where it is currently forecast to do so, my hometown, Bradenton, will be just to the east of the eye. That is, in the path of the most destructive winds and storm driven surge - expected to be between 10 and 15 feet. Very little of the town is more than 15 feet above sea level and a very wide river, the Manatee, runs right through the middle of town; the perfect funnel for the storm surge to drive its way miles inland.



My father, who lives right on the river (within 10 feet) and my sister, who lives in St. Petersburg (directly in the landfall path) have been evacuated. My mother and other sister, who live further inland and away from the river have stocked up on water, food, batteries and candles. Landfall is expected at around 1:30 pm, today.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

No comments: