Tuesday, August 17, 2004

More Voting Irregularities?

Via Island Dave, we learn that somebody is submitting change of address cards for registered voters meaning that when they show up to vote, they are not on the rolls at their local, correct, polling place. They are not removed from the rolls completely, and there are no ways to trace the origins of the change of address cards. Is this the perfect crime?

Are you registered to vote? Are you sure you're registered? I am currently pissed off. Let me tell you why. Today, around lunchtime, I went with my parents to the polls to vote in our primary election. When I got there, I found that I had somehow been removed from the books, and hence could not vote. Frustrated, I took the day off work and my mom took me down to the Election Board at 18th and Walnut. When we got there, we found that the reason I was not on the books is that SOMEONE had sent in an address change card for me. I live near 76th and Troost, but the voting database now had me down as living at 52nd and Locust - I've NEVER lived there, and have in fact lived at this address all of my life (well, except for the year in England, and even then this was my "permanent address"). It took about two hours, but the elections commission director straightened it out and I was finally able to vote. However, she told me why this has been happening, and it's very worrisome. Apparently there are groups out there who buy copies of the voter registration rolls, then send in new registrations for registered voters giving them a new address.
Even if you've gotten a voter registration card - as we do here in New York - you should call your local voter registration office and double check. Do NOT wait until the last minute, do NOT take the chance that you will not be able to vote in November. Do it NOW!

If you find any irregularities, contact the FEC and let them know about it.

No comments: