Saturday, February 07, 2004

If Only Canadians Could Vote

Those of you who've read this blog long enough know that my wife is Canadian. In general, I've found the Canadians I know to be very progressive folks; live and let live. While generally they like Americans - as people, it is seen as the kiss of death for any of their politicians to be seen as caving to a U.S. politician. Even our most liberal ones. And despite seeming to many of us here in the US as "the 51st State," you're likely to get a punch in the nose if you suggest any such thing to a Canadian. After which they would apologize profusely and buy you a beer (a good beer, not the pond water US breweries get away with selling). They are an unfailingly polite people.

Anyway...

It's no wonder that according to a MacLean's poll, only 15% of Canadians would vote for our stuffed flight suit pResident. If you've never read MacLean's, I highly recommend it. I would say it's close to Time Magazine, but better written, better edited and it will give you a very different point of view than the rest of our American, corporate, SCLM. There's a great article this month about how Canadians have a visceral dislike of aWol - and I recommend it - but the best part of this issue was the cover which I've lifted from the MacLean's site.

I think you'll appreciate this:

No comments: