Thursday, September 18, 2003

Choices, Choices... Follow Up

I said below that I thought Wes Clark was still a bit of a cypher to me. Since he made it official that he's running I've been to several of the web sites that were instrumental in drafting Clark into the race and I've been carefully through his offical site.

I've read the articles, the histories and the biographies. I'm tentatively sold. I knew from his background that he'd have the credibility in military and foreign affairs. What I didn't know were his positions on domestic matters.

Despite my concerns about the political environment of the military and especially the general officer corps, his stated positions are mostly just what a democratic candidate needs to take the nomination - and, I believe - the election.

Now the questions:
1) Can he raise the money he'll need to make a come-from-behind run at the nomination?
2) Can he keep up the fund raising to take him all the way to November?
3) Can he stand the public scrutiny and mud slinging he's sure to attract from both sides?

This is going to get really good.

And really ugly.

No comments: