Wednesday, September 22, 2004

A Request To My Readers

I rarely ask anything of my few readers other than to leave a comment now and then, but I received a request to blog about something that intersects with several of my interests. I got an e-mail from International Planned Parenthood, an organization I make sure my United Way donations go to, about the unavailability of abortion for women in the armed services. Here's their pitch, and a link to a petition, I hope you'll consider signing it.

Did you know that the military won't cover the cost of abortion, even if the servicewoman has been raped? But the military does cover the cost of cosmetic surgery, including breast implants, nose jobs, and liposuction!

A ban on military abortions forces soldiers who become pregnant while serving overseas to seek abortions at private clinics and to pay for the procedure themselves, making it difficult and costly to end a pregnancy. Worse yet, the ban leaves women serving in countries where abortion is illegal - like Iraq and Afghanistan - nowhere to turn, effectively depriving them of freedom of choice.

Click here to sign a petition asking your members of Congress to lift the ban.
Thank you.

No comments: