Wednesday, September 22, 2004

An Invisible Minority

I don't look like a "minority." In fact, other than being a very Anglo looking third generation Hispanic-American (I don't speak much Spanish, I have no accent, I'm not very dark skinned and I have green eyes), I look very much like a "white" male. This past weekend, however, I found out that I am, indeed, a true minority.

I live in the very small town of Marion, NY about 25 miles outside of Rochester. My wife and I found a wonderful home that sits on top of a ridge overlooking a beautiful valley full of trees, a small stream and lots of deer, foxes, woodchucks and hawks. It's a little bit of paradise that we retreat to at the end of a long day at work.

The "minority" part? Despite being in one of the "bluest" of states, I found out that I'm one of "maybe two" Democrats in the entire town. In fact, talking with a local Democratic Assemblyman, I found out that I'm one of very few Democrats in the whole county.

Damn. It's a good thing there are so many Democrats in New York City...

No comments: