Wednesday, August 04, 2004

I'm Back...

Is there anything more difficult than trying to dive right back into your daily work routine after being on vacation? Ugh.

Our vacation was great; a wonderful chance to see my family and roam around a little bit in my home town. The weather was just as I remembered it in July and August: hot and muggy with temperatures and relative humidity levels both in the 90's. Even though I haven't lived there in over 20 years, somehow that weather still feels very good to me... Of course now that I'm back in New York, the temperature tomorrow is only going to be in the mid- to upper-60's. Nice.

I was able to see only bits of the Democratic National Convention, but what I did see impressed me and gives me great hope for November - as do the poll numbers. I also didn't see a whole lot of national news, so it's going to take a while to catch up to what's going on.

I can tell you that while traveling yesterday, the increased alert levels had caused the TSA to be more thorough: I saw them double checking what appeared to be a five year old girl in security at JFK Airport in New York. She had to remove her little pink and black sandals for a second pass through screening, her backpack was thoroughly searched after it went through the X-Ray machine and her teddy bear was thoroughly squeezed and shaken. Her father, apparently not selected at random for further screening, watched with a look that was a mixture of amusement, impatience and disgust.

I felt so much safer.

Anyway... catching up at work is going to take some time and we may have to go to Canada tomorrow for family reasons (I won't bore you with the details), so once again, blogging my be light to non-existent for a few more days.

Thanks again to those of you who keep coming by, checking in on me and leaving comments. I hope you'll all forgive the lull in posting while I try to straighten out a thousand different things going on right now.

No comments: