Friday, July 16, 2004

Kerry Resolve

In an interesting move yesterday, John Kerry laid out some guidelines on when he would feel it appropriate to bring our troops home from Iraq. The guidelines themselves - basically we broke it now we need to fix it, were not the interesting part.  From this morning's Wall Street Journal (subscription):
 
Mr. Kerry's remarks, two weeks before he accepts the nomination of a Democratic Party with deep misgivings about the war, indicate the Massachusetts senator isn't preparing to spell out a timetable for rapid withdrawal of the roughly 140,000 U.S. troops now in Iraq. To the contrary, he suggested that Mr. Bush was more likely to do so, saying "I've heard [it] said by many people" that the White House might be gearing up to withdraw troops before the November election.
I've heard all sorts of rumors about things that BushCo. might do to ensure their re-election; everything from dumping Dick "F*** Yourself" Cheney to a "July Surprise" capture or killing of bin Laden. But this is one I hadn't heard of. Despite all their promises to the Iraqis and, indeed, to Americans not to "cut and run," I have to say that upon hearing it, I really did think it would not be beyond them. Apparently so did Kerry:
 
"I'm prepared for any political move" on Iraq, Mr. Kerry said. "I'd put nothing past them."
 
[snip]
 
"I don't trust this administration's definition of where they're going or what they're going to do," he said. "They've already shifted everything. They shifted the reason for the war. They're capable of shifting anything."

No comments: