Monday, July 26, 2004

A Fire in My Belly

I finally got to see Fahrenheit 9/11 this weekend. It was everything that everyone has said: maddening, funny, sad, enlightening. Lots of things stuck in my head about afterwards, some of which I might blog about later. But on the ride home afterwards, talking to my wife, I had an insight into something else.

I said to her that while there were few things in the movie that I hadn't known, most of the facts and assertions I had heard before. But it was exactly those things - subjects that perhaps most other Americans haven't been paying attention to - that keep me blogging. All the subjects that are regularly covered here and on other liberal/progressive blogs were covered in the Moore's documentary. And it was a relief to see them, in concrete form; to know that they really happened, and to see the faces and know they are not just the product of a brain fevered by a visceral hatred of the current White House squatter.

Sure there were things in F9/11 that were shown out of context, yes there were things said or shown with a slant. But there were facts there, facts that just weren't covered anywhere else but the blogosphere - and now Fahrenheit 9/11. Facts that should make a difference in how people feel about BushCo. That I hope make a difference...

No comments: