Friday, January 23, 2004

So Sad...

Bob Keeshan died today.

If you don't know that name, maybe you know this one: Captain Kangaroo.



What an amazingly sad piece of news. I haven't seen Capt. Kangaroo in probably 30 years, and yet as soon as I heard the news a flood of memories came back. Mr. Greenjeans, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose, Grandfather Clock, Tom Terrific... Names that hadn't passed through my mind since I was eight or nine years old; but they were all there, like old friends.

Keeshan's show was a calm in a growing sea of chaos and violence aimed at young people. It is also one of my first memories of TV. Three generations of children grew up knowing the upbeat sound of his theme song. And now, he's gone. It may have been years - decades - since I'd seen him, but I will miss him.

No comments: