Thursday, June 17, 2004

This Won't Hurt Much - Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink

Via Eric Alterman at Altercation, I found this article by Monty Python alum Terry Jones. Terry explores some of the ramifications of the "Torture Memos" as they relate to child rearing and... well, here's a sample:

For some time now, I've been trying to find out where my son goes after choir practice. He simply refuses to tell me. He says it's no business of mine where he goes after choir practice and it's a free country.

Now it may be a free country, but if people start going just anywhere they like after choir practice, goodness knows whether we'll have a country left to be free. I mean, he might be going to anarchist meetings or Islamic study groups. How do I know?

The thing is, if people don't say where they're going after choir practice, this country is at risk. So I have been applying a certain amount of pressure on my son to tell me where he's going. To begin with I simply put a bag over his head and chained him to a radiator. But did that persuade him? Does the Pope eat kosher?
Go read the rest...

No comments: