Monday, January 19, 2004

Patriots vs Carolina

It's time for an annual tradition of mine and this is the first year I'll do it in so public a manner. Every year around this time I have to explain just why it is I don't care a bit about the "Super Bowl."

It's not just the Super Bowl. I don't watch any sports on TV. I don't follow any team in any way. There are no stats from some long forgotten game clogging my memory, no player's record stuck to some neuron in the back of my head. It's not that I never played sports; I've played, at some point in my life: football, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, racquetball, tennis, handball, golf - and I'm sure I've forgotten some. I also run and downhill ski.

Here's how I look at it: If I have three or four hours to waste in front of the television, that's time I could be doing so many other things, including actually being active. I've always felt that way. I'd much rather be doing something rather than watching somebody else doing something.

So there'll be no Super Bowl parties at my house. If I get invited to one - and actually go - it'll be for the commercials and the half-time show (and maybe the beer). The only reason I know who's playing this year is that you can't get away from it; it's blared from every TV channel and radio station. Don't ask me who I'm rooting for; I don't know anything about the teams or the players.

I know. It makes me an odd sort of creature: an American male who doesn't watch sports. It really does take all kinds.

No comments: