Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Why I'm Here - Another Entry...

I'm sort of new to the politically-minded world. In four years at the Military Academy and then ten years actually serving in the Army I remained aloof from politics. Because of the constitutionally mandated military subservience to civilian authority, many in the military were of the opinion that either it didn't matter who we voted for or that there was something vaguely unseemly about voting as a military member. I'm not saying that those feelings were more widespread than the group of officers and soldiers I knew, just that they did exist.

I started to become more interested in politics sometime during Clinton's second term. The attacks on Clinton as a person and as a president seemed starkly unfair and increasingly shrill. And the same people who made those attacks seemed intent on tarring whole segments of society with the same brush. At first it only disturbed me, but as the attacks increased, as they became more shrill, they made me angry. The 2000 election was the final straw in my political awakening. Bush's presidency has further driven my interest in getting involved. So far, this blog is my way of dealing with all of this. It lets me vent. It lets me find others who feel like I do - not just the (so far few) visitors, but because I visit other blogs and other sites to get ideas, to find other minds with similar thoughts.

Any way, this is just another entry explaining why I'm here, why I take the time to do this.

No comments: