Monday, October 06, 2003

The Spiral Downward? (re-edited)

I was kind of out of the news loop this weekend so I was surprised this morning to hear about the Israeli strike into Syria on NPR.

I've only read a single article - in the Wall Street Journal - about this, so I'm not up to speed on the details. I do know, however, that it seems things are hinging on what we do in the UN as far as condemning the attack. As always John Negroponte has orders to make sure that any resolution includes condemnation of the attacks against Israel.

The opinion I do have is based upon my long-time feelings about Sharon's actions over the past several years. I think that "targeted assassinations," destroying suicide bombers' families' homes, continued expansion of settlements in the occupied territories and construction of "the wall" are just not working. Each of these actions only foments and increases the resentment which the Palestinians feel towards Israel (and hence the U.S.) and fuels further violence.

Now before anyone think me an anti-semite; I also feel that the Palestinians, and especially Arafat, have done nothing to make their methods "palatable." And those methods, regardless of the mismatch in military power between the Palestinians and Isreal, taint the cause.

And neither side seems willing to back away from the cycle.

This is what happens when societies that are basically stuck in the middle ages - with family and tribal bonds are closer than national bonds and blood vengeance still an accepted part of dealing with crises - have modern weapons and are given nation-state status. In a sort of grand, technological way, you have to include Israel in that description. Each transgression results in calls for "revenge" from the "aggrieved" side. And from this point in history, no one can say which episode started the whole thing - this time around.

My recommendation (not that anyone would take it, or even care...): A massive U.N. peacekeeping force should "occupy" all of Israel and Palestine. This force must include - or, in fact, be primarily composed of - representatives of the Arab world. And they must force the issue. Key leaders on both sides must be rounded up - by force if necessary - and locked into a room. For as long as it takes.

The situation is too explosive for half measures.

Too bad nobody's listening to me.

No comments: