Tuesday, October 07, 2003

California Dreamin'

I lived in California twice; for about 3 years each time. Army pay wasn't really conducive to participating in lots of aspects of the good life out there, but it was a great place to live anyway. Fort Ord, the base where I was stationed doesn't exist anymore; it was closed as part of the "peace dividend" that has somehow disappeared. But it was located just outside of Monterey - perhaps the most beautiful town in America.

Anyway, that's all just to say that I understand the passion that Californians have for their state and their way of life.

What I don't think anyone understands, including Californians, is their politics. The fractious mix of conservative big business, radical student bodies and cities (Berkeley being the prime example) and a mix of immigrants not seen anywhere else in the U.S. except perhaps New York City makes for an incredible melange of interests. Given what politicians have become, that means that any successful office-holder must understand this mix and shape their messages to appeal to the broadest array - all in an attempt to gain a majority of the votes. Or to keep from being recalled.

Today's the day this diverse mix of voters goes to the polls to decide whether to recall Gray Davis and if so, who to install in his stead. Everyone knows the Repug machinations that lead to this point - and for sure Davis' personality and his bad luck at governing during the worst depression in decades has not helped. Everyone also knows all the stories behind the Republican front runner 'Ahnold.' The groping and womanizing and the complete lack of contrition or even acknowledgement on his part. That's all history now. The polls are open.

What will happen? Despite lots of prognosticating in the polls and the press, I don't think anyone can really say. Having lived there and now living on the East Coast I could claim to have some special insight into how this will all turn out. Forget about it. Nothing would surprise me.

I have my hopes. I hope that the recall is rejected. I hope that Schwartzenegger goes down in flames amid a flurry of law suits and further claims. But no matter what happens, I just can't be surprised at what Californians will do to themselves.

And like any train wreck, I just can't look away.

No comments: